Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday Salon--Something I've Been Looking Forward To

The Sunday Salon.com

Last night I started reading Lorrie Moore's new novel, A Gate at the Stairs. I've been looking forward to it, and so far, I'm enjoying it immensely.

Moore is an amazing stylist, and I'm loving her wordplay, letting her adroit use of language wash over me. For me, it's like being inside the brain of a person who thinks like I do, only is much more clever than I am.

I'm trying not to gulp this one down, but to savor it. (I have to admit I have a little trouble with that, in general!)

Moore's descriptions of life as a college student are taking me back. I love the main character's wry sense of humor. So far, it's not a book I'm getting lost in, but I am enjoying the world Moore has created. I'm looking forward to spending Sunday night reading it...

11 comments:

Ti said...

When I book is really good, I try to savor it too but it doesn't always work!

litlove said...

Ooh good to hear this. I'm a Lorrie Moore fan and will certainly get hold of this when it arrives in the UK.

J.S. Peyton said...

Ooooh, I'm so jealous! Yet, I'm excited. I knew it was going to be good, but it's nice to have it confirmed! Enjoy. :)

Rebecca H. said...

I've never read Moore, and clearly I need to!

Gentle Reader said...

Ti--sometimes I'm just so impatient when I love something, despite my best efforts, I rush toward the end...

litlove--I am really enjoying her style!

J.S.--I've been waiting for this one for a long time, and I'm really enjoying it!

Dorothy--I would suggest you start with Birds of America, a collection of stories. I think she really shines in the short story form :)

Amy said...

Looking forward to your review! We'll have to compare notes. I'm hoping to head home and read for a few hours now!

Gentle Reader said...

Amy--I'm looking forward to hearing what you think, too! Happy reading :)

Bybee said...

I read Anagrams a couple of times and loved it. Can't wait to read this one.

Gentle Reader said...

Bybee--I think I needed to read Anagrams a couple of times to figure out what's going on! I loved it, too. This is also quite good...

Mellissa said...

Well, I'd never heard of this book, or this author, but I've added it to my list! Thanks :)

Gentle Reader said...

Aelysium--I loved her earlier short story collections, too, especially Birds of America :)