Friday, November 20, 2009

The world's worst library books

My sister-in-law sent me a link to a website appropriately named Awful Library Books, which rounds up the worst library books out there, most of which are hopelessly and hilariously outdated. Made me giggle.

An update to my wish list for new books:

Too Much Happiness: Stories, by Alice Munro. I almost always love Munro. Her stories are often little gems. I'm looking forward to savoring these.

Wolf Hall: A Novel, by Hilary Mantel. I'm interested in learning about Thomas Cromwell, and this won the Booker this year, and the buzz is good. It's on my list.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

It is a respect to review Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro; this book is one of my dream books. I think Alice Munro is the most living writer of short stories in the English language. Really I love her all collection.

Great weekend.

-------------------
Hendlin Books

Jen said...

really liked wolf hall too!

litlove said...

I have Wolf Hall to read, and really enjoyed the one Munroe collection I've read so far. I love beefing up my wish list - Christmas is coming!

Gentle Reader said...

Mark--I agree--Alice Munro is one of my favorite short story writers ever!

Jen--Ooh, good to hear you liked Wolf Hall. That moves it higher on my list :)
I'm looking forward to it!

litlove--The holidays are just around the corner, so I thought I'd get organized with all my wants, too :)

Amy said...

I just got Wolf Hall from my library. I can't wait to get started!

Sasha said...

Alice Munro is one of my most favoritestestest writers. My wonder and awe began when I read "The Children Stay" in an obscure anthology of short stories about divorce. I was so hooked.

Very very very much looking forward to this too. :)

Gentle Reader said...

Amy--I envy you! Let me know if you like it :)

Sasha--I have wonder and awe for Munro, too :)

J.S. Peyton said...

I have both of these books on my wish list too! I don't know what it is, but it seems as if I've been adding books to my wishlist at an alarming rate. Still, how can you help yourself when there are so many great books out there? :)

Gentle Reader said...

J.S.--Lately it seems like there are just so many really promising books out there, right? My list overflows!