Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Salon--Oscar day in LA

The Sunday Salon.com

Here in Hollywood, the Academy Awards takes over for almost a week. The Kodak Theater, where the award ceremony is held, is really close to my kids' school. They block off the streets nearby for days beforehand, for security reasons I suppose, and also because they have to build red carpet and bleachers and all sorts of temporary structures for the event. So my kid carpooling is messed up for about a week, grrrr.

This year they put up all sorts of extra tents around the theater, as we have been having really cold and rainy weather, for LA. Gotta protect those celebs from the rain. Last night, there were actual flakes of snow falling in the hillier areas around town. This prompted a flurry of Facebook posts about the snow, if you'll excuse the pun--there were probably more pictures of hail and snow on Facebook than there were actual snowflakes.

I sound like a curmudgeon about it, but I actually really enjoy watching the Oscars on TV. It's the only award show I like--most of the others seem like johnny-come-latelys to me. I like to throw popcorn at the dresses I don't like, and at the bad plastic surgery. I love it when someone rambles on in an acceptance speech, or even better, when they cry, and I hate it when the powers that be cut them off with that annoying music. Ah, the Oscars. TV doesn't get much better than that.

This morning, while picking up two kids from sleepovers, I saw three limos, one a Hummer. Prepping for tonight, I suppose.

My prep for tonight includes getting the snacks ready, and reading. It's a wonderful day to stay inside and read. I don't need to get stuck in all that limo traffic anyway.

I'm almost finished with Dave Eggers' novel What Is the What, about a Sudanese "lost boy" caught up in the violence of a civil war. I've enjoyed the voice of the novel, and admire Eggers' talent. Reviewers have come down on the book because it is a fictionalized memoir, but I haven't been bothered by that--I think it's a well-told and powerful story, and it has made me want to read more on the subject.

What are you reading this weekend?

7 comments:

Florinda said...

I work just a few blocks from the Kodak, and it's made me hate Oscar week. We'll probably watch at least some of the show, though. And at least no one will get rained on... :-)

Gentle Reader said...

Florinda--I can't help myself, I like the show, even though I hate Oscar week, too! I think you work very near my kids' school. We should have lunch some time!!!

Anonymous said...

I've started and semi-abandoned 2 books in the last week -- Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick and I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson. Neither one grabbed me although the second has a hysterical premise (teen in love with David Cassidy and her adult self) which has had me humming the title tune. Somehow my brain has space for all the lyrics! I've now settled into The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass which is pleasant enough. It's my turn to choose the book club book this month. Any suggestions for something really great?

Liz

Rose said...

What is the what - I don't think the fact/fiction matters, but the story of the lost boys was brilliant. I really enjoyed thinking and feeling for the individual stories behind the news headlines. How did you find it?

Ti said...

I went to school right around there as well, but that was years before the Kodak was even built. I can only imagine the headache the show causes for the day to day stuff.

BUT..the show must go on, right? I usually love the Oscars but last night's show sucked!! I was so diappointed with Franco/Hathaway.

Gentle Reader said...

Liz--"I'm sleeping, and right in the middle of a good dream, all at once I wake up from something that keeps knocking at my brain. Before I go insane I hold my pillow to my head, and spring up in my bed, screaming out the words I dread...I think I love you!" Why am I wasting the brain space on that, I ask you? Roger recommended "I Think I Love You" to me. He also really liked "Townie", a memoir by Andre Dubus...

My book group just finished A Visit From the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan, which I liked more than I thought I would--the writing was great, the characters less so. I don't have anything really stellar to recommend offhand, but let me think about it. If you pick something, let me know what it is!!!

Rose--I really enjoyed What is the What, and the fact-or-fiction thing didn't but me either. I really enjoyed the book, for the same reason you mention--it was a really compelling telling of a story I knew a little about from the news, but the novel personalized it for me.

Ti--I totally agree--last night's show sucked! Franco looked stoned (in fact, there's a funny article on Gawker about how they think he really was stoned), and Hathaway was too chirpy. Seidler's was the only decent acceptance speech. I felt like they didn't know who they were trying to appeal to, the oldsters in the academy, or younger TV audiences, so they appealed to neither! Even the "in memoriam" montage was blah this year--how can they mess that up?

litlove said...

This sounds SOOOOOO glamorous. When we have trouble getting our son to school it's because the dustmens' truck is parked stupidly again or one car has tailended another on the A14. Very banal.

It's lovely to have you back blogging again!