Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Next Up In Group

My book group is reading Frederick Reiken's novel Day for Night for our next meeting. I hadn't heard of the book before the group picked it, but reviews call Reiken's prose "elegant"--always a plus--and mentions that the novel is like a group of linked stories. Our last book, Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad, was also a group of linked stories, each featuring a different character. Thinking about it, I realize I like this construction. Olive Kitteridge was also linked stories, and I liked it very much. And Joan Silber's Ideas of Heaven: A Ring of Stories was (obviously, from the subtitle) constructed that way, and I enjoyed that, too.

Reviews of Day For Night also mention the underwater imagery employed by the writer. Makes sense, looking at the cover. One of the great things about belonging to a book group is the exposure to books you might not have found otherwise. This wasn't on my radar, but reading about it, I'm happy I've been pushed to pick it up.

What is your book group reading now? Did your book group ever find a gem you might not have found otherwise?

5 comments:

Ti said...

The gem that my club discusses to this day is Uncle Tom's Cabin. It was wonderful!! None of us expected it to be. I picked it years ago, thinking that it was one of those must-read because it's a classic type books but it was soooo good.

We are reading A Very Long Engagement right now for April and then A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Anonymous said...

Try Tom Rachman's The Imperfectionists for another series of linked tales. I've picked it for my turn to host my book club, and I can't wait to discuss it. Lots of characters to love and hate.

Gentle Reader said...

Ti--I should re-read Uncle Tom's Cabin. I read it when I was a teenager and loved it then. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did it prompt a good discussion? I read A Very Long Engagement a long time ago, but haven't heard of A Canticle for Leibowitz, so I will look it up now...

nathaliefoy--How funny, I just started The Imperfectionists. My sister-in-law is reading it for her book group. She has good taste in books, so I tend to follow her lead :) Already I hate one of the characters, and feel really sorry for another!

Click here for Top Austin Towing said...

With no warning, I discovered DAY FOR NIGHT (audiobook version). It is a magnificent and breathtaking journey into serous philosophical and metaphysical inquiry into the connections we each form in our daily life and many larger questions about such matters. Highly recommended.

Cath Brookes said...

Frederick Reiken became one of my favorite authors after I read this book, which I loved. Memorable characters with memorable stories told in an interesting, non-linear way. Within minutes of finishing this book, I ordered both of his other books.

Cath Brookes
Must see Landscaping Olympia WA information