Saturday, May 12, 2007

They've Got To Be Kidding...

Gawker.com had a post that caught my eye, about a new lifestyle site for recent college grads, called Gradspot.com, with this article:

25 Books that Look Good and Read Even Better: Building a Sexy Library.

It's a guide for decorating your bookshelves with books that at least make you look smart to potential lovers.

Here's one of the author's tips: "Shortcut to looking well read: Stock bookshelves with the lesser-known works of famous authors. Examples: East of Eden, by John Steinbeck, and Pale Fire, by Nabokov. Special bonus points if you actually read them!"

Really.

At least the article has a slightly tongue-in-cheek feel.

And maybe I should be encouraged by the idea that they think good books might be seductive...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, that's funny. I think I'm pretty able to tell if someone is smart without using their bookcase as a guide, aren't you?

But I have to admit to clicking the link to see how many of the 25 I've read.

It's scary that Gatsby is being promoted as resembling a TV soap opera. Maybe they're trying to trip gullible people into reading something good!

Gentle Reader said...

dew--It would be nice if their secret motive was to educate, wouldn't it?

Anonymous said...

That was pretty funny. I admit though that the first thing I notice about a person's home is their books :) I just want to see if we have some reading material in common.

Anonymous said...

I know that it makes me incredibly hot when I see my wife reading a book -- and, fortunately, she's always reading a book!

Gentle Reader said...

Iliana--I'm with you! I check out people's bookshelves, too. And I do think people's bookshelves say something about them. I think I'd feel cheated if I found out someone had put all their books on their shelves just for show :)

hubby--depends on what she's wearing, though, right? ;)

Anonymous said...

Gentle -- Does it really depend on what she's wearing? Huh, maybe you're right...I'm partial to Burberry pajama bottoms and a worn-in T-shirt...

And PS -- love the non-fiction reading challenge. I'll have to think about my choices...