Monday, March 19, 2007

Lionel Shriver in the NY Times

Saw the profile in the NY Times of Lionel Shriver, whose new novel The Post-Birthday World seems to be everywhere at the moment. I just ordered it, so it will soon be on the night table. She sounds a little wacky here. For example, she changed her name from Margaret Ann to Lionel, at 15--"having discarded a series of earlier aliases, including Tony, she decided, for no particular reason, she said, that her name would be Lionel." Hmmm...interesting. Looking forward to reading the book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have read endless reviews and interviews with "Lionel," and am looking forward to reading the book which sits on my night table. Any book that involves relationships between the sexes that is thought provoking... interests me. I'll check back in when I'm done.

Gentle Reader said...

I'm interested, too--as the profile in the NYT says, the novel's "forensic examination of the day-to-day boredoms, fears, annoyances, hopes and betrayals of romantic relationships, and its exploration of the roads not taken" sounds thought-provoking, at least...so do check back in when you're finished...