Monday, March 31, 2008

Another one bites the dust...


I was saddened to hear that Dutton's, one of L.A.'s great independent bookstores, is closing its doors after 23 years.  Dutton's once had a North Hollywood location that my husband and I used to visit occasionally, but that closed a few years back.  Now the Brentwood store is closing, partly due to the fact that the property has changed ownership, and surprise, surprise, the new owner wants to redevelop the property (a familiar story in Los Angeles).  Here is a letter from the store's owner, Doug Dutton, about the closing, and here is a piece about it in the Los Angeles Times

I don't know what it takes to make it as an independent bookstore, but it always sounds like a business that constantly lives on the edge.  I have always had a dream of owning a small bookstore, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to follow that particular dream...

8 comments:

tanabata said...

It's always sad when an independent bookstore closes. I've often dreamed of having a small bookstore too but it does seem so hard nowadays that it will probably always remain just a dream.

Robin said...

It's so sad to lose another independent bookstore. I used to work in a great one in SLC, and the owner has written a very interesting book about the independent bookstore experience. Almost all of us that worked there had the same dream -- to some day own a little bookshop. The store and the book are called The King's English. The owner-author is Betsy Burton. The other fun things about the book are the many booklists included. It's worth reading for any of us that dream of owning our own bookshop! It's available through Amazon, but I found it in our library, too.

Gentle Reader said...

tanabata--it sounds like it's a dream of many a book blogger! But I think all small businesses are a real gamble, and bookstores seem to be closing all over :(

robin--I remember you posted about the bookstore, with some pictures, which made me want to visit! Sounds fabulous, and I'll have to put the book on my list, too. I love books with lists of books!

Stephanie said...

Did you ever see the movie, You've Got Mail? It was so sad when she lost her book store. But seriously, how can the little guys compete with places like Barnes & Noble and Borders??

Eloise said...

It is sad, our town lost a brilliant award winning independent bookstore a year or so ago; in its place came a Cafe Nero. It was heartbreaking.

litlove said...

Oh isn't that sad? Some of the best bookstores I've been in are independents, and it's such a shame it we end up with nothing but chains. I've often dreamed of having a little bookstore - it must surely be possible still?

Gentle Reader said...

stephanie--I did see You've Got Mail, and that little bookstore was so charming, it was really depressing when it closed. But you're right, how do you compete with "Fox Books", the big chains?

eloise--that is heartbreaking :(

litlove--I don't know if it's still possible, but I still have the dream :)

Dewey said...

That's always been a dream of mine, too, but sometimes I think you'd have to find a small village in Wales or something. Even then, the access to Amazon would be hard to compete with.