Wednesday, April 9, 2008

National Poetry Month


As all my book-blogging friends know, April is not only the cruelest month, it is also National Poetry Month.

Like he did last year, my friend Greg is making a herculean effort to write a poem a day. He's posting his daily poems at his poetic blog, Gotta Book. And they're always funny!

Melanie at The Indextrious Reader has been posting about poetry this month. I've particularly enjoyed her choices!

Kate at Kate's Book Blog has a poetry challenge for the month--check it out! She says: The challenge is simply to post about poetry at least once in the month of April. The post could be a review of a collection of poetry, a broader meditation on the work of a favourite poet, or a detailed analysis of a single poem. Simply posting a poem doesn't count unless you go on to say something about that poem. The idea is to dare to be critical (as in analytical, not necessarily negative) and venture an opinion.

7 comments:

Greg Pincus said...

I've actually seen an early draft of the myth, and right after he slew the hydra, Hercules did, in fact, have to write 30 poems in 30 days. This was changed in rewrite to capturing Hippolyte's girdle, because even back then, sex sold. In May I will attempt another labor (cleaning my office in one day). Wish me luck!

And thanks for the link, oh gentle reader!

Gentle Reader said...

greg--Lol! I should have called it an "epic" effort, which might have been more appropriate! And good luck with the office cleaning :)

Anonymous said...

I think your beautiful wisteria is properly poetic :)

Gentle Reader said...

stefanie--thanks--it has been putting on quite a display in the back yard, in honor of National Poetry Month, I'm sure :)

heather (errantdreams) said...

Oooh, poetry... *looks at huge pile of TBR books* Maybe next year. *sigh*

Gentle Reader said...

heather--lol! I hear you, my friend!

Melwyk said...

Thanks for the compliment! I've quite enjoyed posting poems, although by the end of the 30th one, it does feel somewhat as if April is the cruelest month after all. ;)