Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday books for my son...update


Everyone was so lovely when I asked for advice about what to buy for my 12-year-old son for the holidays (we do a little Chanukah and a little Christmas in our family--Chrismukah?  With a visit from Chanuklaus?).  Thank you, everyone!  Now I have a wonderful list that will hold us for the next few gift-giving occasions, at least.  

So far I have bought him a copy of Neil Gaiman's latest, The Graveyard Book, and J.K. Rowling's The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition.  Yes, that's the standard edition, not the fancy-schmancy, super-expensive collector's edition.

My younger son (age 9) is a little easier to buy for, as I've already been through it with my older one.  But he was thrilled to receive HIS OWN copy of Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) from his cousin, and never mind that we already have a set of the whole series, because this is HIS OWN copy.  I forget that he gets so many hand-me-downs, that even a used book doesn't feel like his own, poor kid.

I am also giving my younger one two books by Kevin Henkes, Sun & Spoon and The Birthday Room, because he liked Words of Stone so much.  

I also received a nice present from my husband for my birthday--a Kindle: Amazon's Wireless Reading Device.  It arrived a little late because it was backordered, but I've had it now for a few weeks.  I've hesitated before writing about it, because I wanted to get used to it before I said anything.  But I'll tell you what I think a little later...now I've got to go and have some latkes with a little eggnog!



10 comments:

Tasha said...

Those sound like lovely choices. What a great idea to ask for advice from your fellow readers, near and far.

Booklogged said...

Happy Chrismukah, Gentle Reader.

litlove said...

Happy festivities, gentle reader, whatever form they take! Do let us know what your children think of their reading - I'm most intrigued now to know. I've never read any Neil Gaiman, so I have my own reasons, too!

Gentle Reader said...

Charley--I got some really good advice, too. I'll definitely turn to my blogging friends next time I need book-choosing advice!

booklogged--thank you, and happy holidays to you, too!

Susan--so happy you've made your first comment--thanks, and I hope you keep coming back and make more!

litlove--I will let you know what the kids think, and happy holidays to you and yours :)

Anonymous said...

I wish you the best in this holiday season, full of joy and memories, and a healthy, bookish new year! Merry Christmas! :)

Robin said...

A very Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to you and your family!

Leah said...

Best wishes Gentle Reader over the holiday season!

Gentle Reader said...

matt--happy holidays and a bookish new year to you, too!

robin--thank you! Happy holidays to you and your family!

Leah--thank you--happy holidays to you, too!

Looking forward to reading with you all in 2009 :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you have been enjoying the holidays! Sounds like you made some lovely book choices. I am jealous of your Kindle. My husband and I got one for ourselves for Solstice but they are backordered. Can't wait to hear what you think of yours!

Gentle Reader said...

stefanie--It took weeks for me to get my Kindle, too--I haven't used it to its full potential yet, because I had so many other things to read first, but so far I am enjoying it. Happy 2009 to you!