Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Life: Weekend Checklist


Friday surprise:  At planning meeting for "farewell event" for head of children's school, reach into coat pocket to silence ringing cell phone, and pull out...Barbie shoes.

During Friday trip to the orthodontist:  try to convince eldest child of the merits of wearing his million-dollar headgear, while keeping him from punching his younger brother while they fight over the use of my cellphone.

Weekend events scheduled:  Two birthday parties, one sleepover, one bar mitzvah, two haircut appointments.

Event cancelled:  Long-awaited Sunday "girls' night" cozy dinner and screening of movie organized by my best friend.  

New event scheduled instead:  Help hubby pack and see him off on week-long business trip to Vancouver that has been moved up.  Take care of three children without hubby instead of attending girls' night.

Second new event scheduled:  sleepless night contemplating week ahead without hubby.

Foreseeable reading time:  0

Foreseeable blogging time:  0

6 comments:

Iliana said...

Oh no, a girls' night cancelled is no fun. Hang in there and hopefully some free reading time will happen somehow!

Gentle Reader said...

iliana--I so look forward to my occasional girls' nights and book group nights and get very grumpy if I can't make it. I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze in a little reading--thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh I used to hate it when my husband went away and left me on my own with our son and all the responsibility. I think you need to spend the week booking yourself up at least two nights out with the girls as this is all looking very unfair.

The orthodontist is a friend of our house, too. To begin with my son felt he couldn't even swallow with his brace in, but now he happily chomps his way through most things again. Doesn't improve his temper when it gets tightened, however, which, youch, I can remember as a sensation all too well myself.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got the situation under control judging from the calm and sanity of the tone!

Hope you'll find sometime to relax and read in between errands. :)

Gentle Reader said...

litlove--ah, the orthodontist...I remember the soreness and irritation from when the braces were tightened, so I have sympathy for my poor sons, but I wish it were easier just getting them to appointments! And I hate it when my husband goes away, but I am always sure to book some time for myself when he comes back, so it all evens out in the end :)

matt--I'm keeping it together, but it's always so much harder without hubby's help. I'm going to take your advice and try to find some time to read between all the obligations :)

Susan said...

Oh, poor you, poor us all with young children! I like the Barbie Shoes story, hate the fact you get left with the kids all alone all week! Here's hoping you found some time to read after all (usually between 11 pm and midnight in my case)!