Thursday, September 23, 2010

Booking Through Thursday--Current

Here's this week's Booking Through Thursday question:

What are you reading right now? What made you choose it? Are you enjoying it? Would you recommend it? (And, by all means, discuss everything, if you’re reading more than one thing!)

(I’ve asked this one before, but, well, it’s not like the answers stay the same, and darn it, it’s an interesting question!)

It's a simple question, but always interesting--a snapshot of what people are reading right now. I always ask it at cocktail parties, and when I meet someone interesting, and when I email my cousin...

My answer is, I'm reading a bunch of stuff right now. I'm reading My Hollywood, by Mona Simpson, which makes me cringe because of its resemblance to my own life. I chose it because my good friend recommended it, and because it's about my town. I've also just started Jonathan Franzen's Freedom. I have a feeling it's going to be one of those books I just can't put down, no matter how uncomfortable it makes me. I chose it because I loved his The Corrections, and I have been waiting (forever) for this one to come out, and because I'm planning to force my book group to read it. And I'm also reading, slowly, Ten Poems to Change Your Life, by Roger Housden, because I love poetry and I don't read enough of it.

What are you reading right now? Why did you choose it?

4 comments:

Lori said...

I can only read one book at a time. I hope your enjoying them. Here's my Booking Through Thursday.

Matt said...

I'm reading David Mitchell and Peter Carey, whom are both longlisted for Booker this year, but I'm digging their older works.

Chèli said...

Here's my Booking through Thursday.

http://chelisshelves.blogspot.com/2010/09/bookin-through-thursday.html

Great question!
Chèli
Cheli's Shelves

Grad said...

I'm reading Thursday Next: First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde. I've loved all the preceding books. Am having a bit of a problem getting into this one, but I think it's more "me" than the book. I probably need to pick up something more seasonal and then go back to this one later.